Monday, January 19, 2009

PUT THE PEN TO PAPER, WRITE YOURSELF OUT


Sorry it has been so long guys, I just haven't gotten around to posting.  So anyways, as I was driving my beloved car Jenny to Utah last Saturday, to surrender her to my parents for fear that I might speed my way into another ticket, I realized something: most bands suck at writing lyrics.  This realization came to me as I was listening to The All-American Rejects' new album "When The World Comes Down."  On my first listen, I was instantly drawn to the infectious pop beats and the fluttering vocals, but on two additional run throughs, I realized how boring and generic the lyrics were.  I guess in many ways the heart of a song is in the music itself, but I believe the words complete it.  When all I hear on the radio is the same old stock chatter about similar relationship situations, I lose interest, and it just becomes another song to me.  People give me a hard time about the bands I like, but I listen to them because they know how to write songs.  Bands like Hinder, Nickleback, Plain White Ts, Metro Station, Boys Like Girls, 30 Seconds to Mars, ext. write in a way that I can almost predict the lyrics on a first listen.  I like a band that keeps me guessing, and keeps themselves guessing too.  Thoughts?

Contemplating, not hating,
BraXteN

No comments:

Post a Comment